New Partnerships for 2007 SEED Winner “Nueva Vida”
Since they received the 2007 SEED Award, “Nueva Vida” (New Life), based in the Ecuadorian Andes, has been able to make progress through new partnerships.
The partnership, led by a women's organisation, makes jam from several of the re-introduced native tubers which in part is used in chocolates.
Their re-introduced of native Andean agricultural crops contributes to:
- the diversification of food production
- the improvement of local food security
- the prevention of soil erosion
- the empowerment of local communities (especially women)
- generating additional incomes.
Nueva Vida obtained support from USAID for their jam production. In addition Kraft Foods directed a field mission with the aim of securing rigorous hygiene and good manufacturing standards, and new processes and products relating to chocolate-making. University experts are now assisting the initiative with licensing for marketing.
See also in the SEED 2010 Annual report.